Loftus Road - Photo-Getty Images

Queens Park Rangers 2 Middlesbrough 0

It was a day when QPR equalled a club record of seven successive clean sheets set in 1967 and a day when Boro failed to score for the first time this season.

There were two changes to the Boro side who drew with Bournemouth. Ben Gibson started a league game for Boro for the first time as he replaced Rhys Williams, while Jozsef Varga came in for Muzzy Carayol in a side captained by Jonathan Woodgate.

There were three changes to the Rangers side who won at Yeovil last Saturday. Armand Traore and Jermaine Jenas dropped to the bench, while Matt Phillips missed out altogether. In came Niko Kranjcar, Joey Barton and Alejandro Faurlin.

That meant a start for former Boro player Gary O'Neil, while midweek signing, Uruguayan international Javier Chevanton, was on the bench.

A bright start from Boro was punctured after just four minutes with QPR's first attack of the game. A low cross from the right was punched out by Jason Steele. Joey Barton shot from just inside the penalty area and the ball deflected off Frazer Richardson inside the six-yard box.

The first booking of the game came when O'Neil clattered into Varga and the second wasn't too far behind when Danny Simpson caught Grant Leadbitter.

Boro retained their shape and went in search of a way back into the game but that didn't come from a Dean Whitehead free-kick and a deflected shot from Kei Kamara, both efforts comfortably gathered by Rob Green.

A right-wing cross from Simpson was contested on the edge of the six-yard box but headed wide by Charlie Austin, then Gibson produced a fine challenge to get to a left-wing cross destined for Kranjcar.

They were rare threatening moments as Boro continued to see more of the ball but Rangers then began to step it up.

Steele produced a smart stop to thwart Barton before Rangers had strong appeals for a penalty turned away on the half-hour mark when Kranjcar fell under challenge from Richardson.

That was turned down, but they didn't have long to wait. On 34 minutes Austin shot, Steele saved, O'Neil followed and Gibson handled in the area. Charlie Austin made it two-nil from the spot a minute later.

When Austin was fouled on the edge of the Boro penalty area Rangers won a free-kick in a dangerous position but Barton shot well over.

Half-time: QPR 2 Boro 0

Tony Mowbray made two changes at the start of the second half as Stuart Parnaby and Lukas Jutkiewicz replaced Woodgate and Varga.

Parnaby went to right-back and Richardson to centre-back, with Jutkiewicz joining Kamara up front in a 4-4-2 formation.

Jutkiewicz shot over when looking to make a quick impression, then Rangers won two corners in quick succession in an open start to the half.

Back in Rangers territory and Jutkiewicz controlled well and shot low from the edge of the area but Green was well placed and although the ball threatened to squirm away, he saved well.

Rangers worked their way back into dangerous territory and O'Neil drilled a low shot from the edge of the penalty area, with Steele pulling off a fine save.

Boro's fans did their best. Stretched across the top tier of a stand behind one goal they went through a repertoire of songs that demonstrated their support in no uncertain manner.

But it was Rangers who threatened next, O'Neil having another go from the edge of the box and Steele making a more conventional save this time.

A strong run down the right from Adomah ended with a low cross that fizzed through the Rangers box, only just evading Jutkiewicz arriving at the back post.

The roles were reversed minutes later when Jutkiewicz headed down to Adomah, who saw a shot from 14 yards deflected for a corner.

The final whistle brought with it another clean sheet for the league leaders, their seventh in a row. It's now 685 minutes since they last conceded.

Scorers: Richardson og, 4; Austin, 35, (pen).

QPR: Green; Simpson, Kranjcar (Hoilett 82), Dunne, Hill (Capt to 77) (Ehmer, 77), Assou-Ekotto, Barton (Capt from 77), Carroll, Faurlin (Henry 79), O'Neil, Austin. Subs: Murphy (gk); Traore, Jenas, Chevanton.

Middlesbrough: Steele; Richardson, Gibson, Woodgate (Capt to 45.) (Parnaby 46), Friend, Adomah, Leadbitter (Capt from 46), Whitehead, Butterfield (Smallwood 66), Varga (Jutkiewicz 46), Kamara. Subs: Leutwiler (gk); Hoyte, Halliday, Carayol. Order of subs on 46: 1) Parnaby 2) Jutkiewicz.

Referee: Darren Deadman


QPR: O'Neil
, foul, 6; Simpson, foul, 12.
Middlesbrough: Whitehead, 32, foul; Gibson, 34, handball; Adomah, 89, foul.

Attendance: 17,081 (1,296 Boro)

Conditions: Warm, overcast and breezy.

Website Boro Man of the Match: Jason Steele

Possession: QPR 60% Middlesbrough 40%




On target

Off target