arrow-down-greyarrow-down-redarrow-down-whitearrow-downarrow-left-greyarrow-left-whitearrow-leftarrow-right-blackarrow-right-greyarrow-rightarrow-up-redarrow-upback-to_blockcalendarcameracheckclose-blackclose-whiteclosecornercrest-whitecrestdouble-yellowdownloaddropdown-white-leftdropdown-white-updropdown-whitedropdownextra-timefacebook-whitefacebookfreekickfull-timegallerygoal-dissallowedgoal-dissalowedgoal-headedgoal-left-footgoal-othergoal-right-footgoalgooglehalf-timeinjuryinstagram-whiteinstagramkick-offline-arrowlineup-sub-offlineup-sub-onlineupslion-fadedlion-greylion-redlion-whitelionswansea iconslive-flashinglive-scoreslives-scoresload-moreloadinglocationloginmenumin-by-minmissmissedoffsideown-goalpen-missedpen-scoredpenalty-awardedplay-video-whiteplay-videoplayerpromotion-arrowquote-bottomquote-topred-cardright-arrow-blackright-arrowsavesearch-whitesearchsnapchatsoundstadiumstatssubstitutiontabletimetwitter-blacktwitterswansea iconswarningwhistlewoodworkyellow-cardyoutube

Official Club Website of Middlesbrough FC

Full Fixture List


EFL Championship

Riverside Stadium


Ref: Jeremy Simpson



Jonathan Woodgate’s side were two goals to the good and absolutely cruising after 39 minutes of what had been as one-sided a contest as you will ever see - but a red card for Marvin Johnson was followed by two Jarrod Bowen goals to deny Boro once again.

It was a hammer blow for Boro after such a complete performance up until the sending off, and Hull were able to capitalise in the second period.

It took just six minutes for Boro to get off the mark when Marcus Tavernier showed good feet to convert a cross from Paddy McNair. It was a goal which started with a poor clearance from George Long, but Dael Fry, Ashley Fletcher, Britt Assombalonga and McNair all played their parts.

Fletcher, Assombalonga and the constantly advancing McNair were causing Hull all sorts of problems and the latter pair linked up well to create another decent chance as Boro dominated the early stages.

A second goal was coming, and it was Fletcher who delivered a great finish after superb work by Assombalonga and Johnson. It was a terrifically worked goal, capped off with a confident finish by Fletcher for his second of the season.

Boro were hit by a body blow before half-time, though, when Johnson saw red after raising his foot to block a pass from Eric Lichaj. Referee Jeremy Simpson showed no hesitation in producing a red card, leaving Boro with 10 men for the remaining 50 minutes.

The numerical disadvantage led to Woodgate making a change at half-time with Adam Clayton coming on to bolster the midfield, at the expense of striker Fletcher.

It took Hull until the 50th minute to mount a meaningful attack when striker Tom Eaves headed wide after finding space to meet a good cross into the box.

Boro did threaten again, courtesy of Assombalonga, but it was mainly backs-to-the-wall stuffs as the visitors looked to make their superior numbers count. Jordy De Wijs was denied by a good block and Woodgate’s side were solid and organised.

Tavernier did test Long again, though, with a powerful striker, and Daniel Ayala narrowly failed to get on the end of a good ball into the box from Lewis Wing.

There was just under 20 minutes remaining when Bowen scored an absolute stunner to reduce the arrears. The Hull man simply looked up and took aim from almost 30 yards, hitting the back of the net before Darren Randolph, who was unsighted, saw the ball.

Less than four minutes later it was all square. Lichaj picked out De Wijs at the far post and when he headed back across the face of goal, Bowen showed great tenacity before slamming the ball home.

Hull did threaten in the closing stages - the presence of De Wijs was a real headache for Boro - but Woodgate’s side held firm to collect the point.