It was Wolves with the first chance as, with just two minutes played, Donovan Wilson stole in round the back and shot low across the face of goal. It looked as though all chance was lost, Dan Armstrong thought otherwise and rolled the ball back across the face of goal and this time Boro scrambled clear.

In an open start Boro should have taken the lead but George Miller, set up by Lewis Wing, hammered a volley well off target – most unlike him.

It was Miller who had Boro’s next chance, but the radar still wasn’t aligned and a lob over the goalkeeper drifted just wide.

Miller was getting a lot of space and with his next chance he set up a scramble on the edge of the Wolves six-yard box.

Hayden Coulson’s delivery from the left was a constant cause for concern for the visitors, but the opening goal was set up with a cross from the other side as Wing swept a deep delivery into the box and George Miller rose to power in a header from the edge of the six-yard box to register his tenth goal of the season.

Boro were good value for their lead and nearly increased it, but a powerful shot from Amadou Sylla inside the box thundered against a post.

A curling effort from Dan Armstrong might have caused a few problems but was vigilantly watched by Zach Hemming as if went a couple of yards wide. Wat it did do was serve as a reminder that Wolves were plucky and very much still in this game.

Half-time Boro U23 1 Wolves U23s 0

It took just 14 seconds for Wolves to create a half chance in the second half, a header from Michael Zyro when meeting a left-wing cross landing on top of the net.

Shortly after Luke Armstrong headed over, Wolves went close again through Dan Armstrong and a curling shot from Aaron Collins.

The face of the game was changed with two goals in five minutes.

After withstanding Wolves pressure, Boro switched into attack mode and scored twice in five minutes.

Pressing to the edge of the box Lewis Wing cracked home a shot that took a deflection off Cameron John with 72 minutes played.

Just five minutes later Tom Brewitt rose to meet a right-wing cross and after a quick consultation with a linesman, the referee confirmed the ball had crossed the line.

Wolves nearly pulled one back a few minutes later but a deflected shot from Collins was deflected off a post.

Swinging back into the Wolves penalty area and Ben Liddle forced a full-length save from Harry Burgoyne.

The visitors pulled one back with 88 minutes played when Donovan Wilson was played through just left of centre and finished with a low shot.

In the final minute of added on time Wing almost added another, however a 20-yard free-kick whistled just wide.

Scorers Miller 28, Wing 72, Brewitt 77, Wilson 88

Boro Hemming; Hegarty, McGinley, Liddle, Brewitt (Capt.), Cook, Sylla (Reading 62), Wing, Miller, Armstrong (O’Neill 73), Coulson (Malley 81). Subs: James (gk); Curry.

Wolves Burgoyne; Burr, Breslin, Ronan, Odoffin (John 46), Deslandes, Armstrong, Onianeje (Herc 64), Wilson, Goncalves, Zyro (Collins 64). Subs: Watt, Xavier.

Order of subs on 64: 1) Collins; 2) Herc

Referee Joe Hull
Yellow card Breslin 19, foul; Deslandes 90+4, foul