It was shirtsleeve order for fans who basked in warm sunshine with just enough cloud cover to make it more comfortable for the players.

A steady start saw Boro dominate, passing comfortably and moving well off the ball.

Stewart Downing had the first chance but had to wait 10 minutes for it as he drilled left-footed and low from just inside the box to force a full-length save from Ross Etheridge.

A couple of minutes later Downing, set up by Carlos De Pena, went close again, but it was his shot that was deflected into his own net by centre-half Andy Butler and Boro had the lead after 13 minutes.

In between a shot at Etheridge and one deflected for a corner from Adam Forshaw came a clear chance of an equaliser from Doncaster but Joe Pugh didn't make enough of a good connection to a right wing cross to trouble Tomas Mejias.

Muzzy Carayol switched flanks from time to time, Nugent worried Etheridge and fitness levels and match touch were increased with constant movement, but not much of it created action in respective penalty areas.

On the stroke of half-time there was a half chance for Rovers inside the Boro box, but calm and assured work from Nathan McGinley cemented a tidy debut for the young Boro left-back.

As the team from the first half warmed down, that which would contest the second warmed up in front of a Boro following just over eleven hundred strong.

The second half brought the first look at Viktor Fischer in Boro colours, a left-wing role mixed in with front running duties for the Danish international who shaved his hair earlier in the summer. "A new look for a new start."

It was two Academy boys who combined to almost add a second for Boro though, as determined work from Bradley Halliday set up Alex Pattison who drilled a low shot inches wide.

Two chances in a minute livened up what was really an extension of a training ground game. Adam Reach looks to have benefited richly from his loan spell at Preston and his delivery, not for the first time in the afternoon, had Rovers anxiously watching. 

It dropped just off target, before Jordan Rhodes saw a 12-yard shot deflected just over.

Boro's second was worth the wait as, with 81 minutes played, Alex Pattison followed up a good debut at York with another and a goal this afternoon as he curled a low shot into the bottom corner from around 12 yards.

In the closing minutes one of the Rovers subs, Riccardo Calder, went close with a powerful shot that gave Dimi Konstantopoulos a rare touch of the ball.


First Half: Mejias; Nsue, Morris, Gibson (Capt.), McGinlay, Clayton, Forshaw, Carayol, Downing, De Pena, Nugent.
Second Half: Konstantopoulos; Halliday, Baptiste, Jackson, Friend (Capt.), De Sart, De Roon, Reach, Fischer, Pattison, Rhodes.

Doncaster Rovers
Etheridge; Alcock, Garratt, Butler, Marquis, Rowe, Lund, Middleton, Blair, Pugh, Coppinger. Subs: Calder, Williams, Mandeville, Longbottom, Evina, Fielding, McCormick.

Referee Mr D England 

Attendance 2,886 (1,118 Boro)