Boro’s January transfer window was brought to a dramatic conclusion with the late acquisition of Muhamed Besic and Martin Cranie within hours of the 11pm deadline.
Both players come from Premier League clubs, with combative midfielder Besic arriving from Everton on loan and versatile defender Cranie making the switch from Huddersfield Town.
This was the day after Tony Pulis had made his first Boro signing, again on loan, with England Under-21 international Jack Harrison joining from Manchester City – shortly after the Premier League leaders had acquired the exciting youngster from sister club New York City.
That paved the way for three first team players to depart on Deadline Day. Cyrus Christie joined Fulham in a permanent transfer, while Martin Braithwaite returned to France with Bordeaux and Ashley Fletcher made the short trip up the A19 to link up with Sunderland – both deals on loan until the end of the season.
Earlier in the window, Adam Forshaw left for Leeds United in a transfer worth £4.5m. In the wake of the deal, the midfielder offered a heartfelt message to Boro fans thanking them for their support and wishing the club the best of luck for the future.
Connor Roberts returned to parent club Swansea City after his season-long loan was brought to an early end, while Adlene Guedioura left Boro after his contract was terminated by mutual consent. He subsequently joined Nottingham Forest.
Joao Morelli left for Fleetwood Town, the Brazilian youngster having recently returned to these shores following a successful loan spell in Estonia with FC Levadia. Callum Johnson made his loan move to Accrington Stanley permanent.
George Miller returned to former club Bury on loan until the end of the season, joining goalkeeper Connor Ripley, who had cut short his stint at Burton Albion to make the same switch earlier in the window.
Marcus Tavernier will continue his development on loan at MK Dons in League One, while Lewis Wing will spend the rest of the campaign with Yeovil. Nathan McGinley has made a temporary move to Wycombe Wanderers, and Aynsley Pears joined neighbours Darlington on loan.
Another three Academy youngsters are back at Boro at the conclusion of their loan agreements. Matty Elsdon returned from Inverness, Robbie Tinkler from Gateshead and Alex Pattison from York City.
- Jack Harrison (loan, Manchester City)
- Muhamed Besic (loan, Everton)
- Martin Cranie (permanent, Huddersfield Town)
- Adam Forshaw (permanent, Leeds United)
- Cyrus Christie (permanent, Fulham)
- Martin Braithwaite (loan, Bordeaux)
- Ashley Fletcher (loan, Sunderland)
- Adlene Guedioura (contract terminated)
- Connor Roberts (end of loan, Swansea City)
- Connor Ripley (loan, Bury)
- Joao Morelli (permanent, Fleetwood Town)
- Callum Johnson (permanent, Accrington Stanley)
- George Miller (loan, Bury)
- Marcus Tavernier (loan, MK Dons)
- Nathan McGinley (loan, Wycombe Wanderers)
- Aynsley Pears (loan, Darlington)