Callum Cooke scored his third goal for loan club Crewe Alexandra as they beat 10-man Carlisle United 2-0.

Cooke opened the scoring after 34 minutes, playing a neat one-two with George Cooper before steering the ball cleverly past Carlisle keeper Mark Gillespie.

Jordan Bowery added another on the hour mark, and Cooke could have had his second when put clean through one-on-one in the late stages, but was denied by Gillespie. 

"I think that (quality) is starting show now, we are creeping up the table a bit and we have had some great wins," Cooke told the Crewe Chronicle.

"I should have had a brace, personally that's my only disappointment, but more importantly we got another three points against a promotion-chasing side.

"I thought the fans were absolutely fantastic again, great away following. They have made me feel very welcome and I think I heard them singing my name at one point! As a player that gives you a big boost."

Connor Ripley's Oldham Athletic forced league leaders Sheffield United to settle for a point at Boundary Park.

Tope Obadeyi gave the Latics the lead just before half-time, but former Boro man Jay O'Shea replied on 50 minutes. 

Ripley was forced into action to deny Billy Sharp in the game's closing stages as Oldham edge towards safety. 

Harry Chapman was an unused substitute for United, now unbeaten in ten league games, as he awaits his competitive return after injury.

Joe Fryer's Hartlepool United led but were eventual beaten by Blackpool.

Fryer played the full game for Pools, who took the lead through Lewis Alessandra, before the Tangerines replied with goals from Bright Osayi-Samuel and Kyle Vassell.

Robbie Tinkler was on target again for North Ferriby Untied, but his loan club were dealt a 5-1 defeat by Sutton United.

Tinkler scored after 48 minutes, running into the area and evading four defenders before shooting into the far corner, but it was ultimately mere consolation for the visitors who slipped to the bottom of the National League table.