There was a first win in five games for Connor Ripley with Accrington Stanley as they booked a place in the third round of the FA Cup. 

The Boro keeper had played as Stanley fell to a last minute home defeat to Wycombe Wanderers during the week, and was involved again on Saturday. This time it was a more positive outcome with a 3-1 victory over Cheltenham Town.

George Miller was involved in a stirring cup comeback with Bradford City at the weekend. Trailing by two goals to home side Peterborough, the striker was brought on from the bench before The Bantams hit back twice in the closing ten minutes to earn a replay at Valley Parade. Miller had also been a substitute in a heavy defeat for Bradford at Luton Town on Tuesday.

Yeovil Town’s struggles continued this week, although a silver lining for Enes Mahmutovic was a rare league outing for The Glovers as he was introduced at half-time of a 3-0 defeat to Port Vale. Alex Pattison, a regular in midfield for the League Two side, also played in the match. 

Elsewhere in League Two, Nathan McGinley featured on Tuesday night as Forest Green Rovers lost out in a 1-0 defeat to Colchester United. Like Yeovil, Rovers had a fixture-free weekend having failed to secure passage in the first round of the FA Cup.

Tyrone O’Neill will have a new manager to impress after Hartlepool United parted company with manager Matthew Bates. O’Neill came off the bench in Bates’ last match in charge, a 2-1 home defeat to AFC Fylde, and was an unused substitute as Craig Hignett stepped into the dugout against Dagenham and Redbridge - another 2-1 loss, Pools’ seventh on the spin in the National League.

Also in the National League, Luke Armstrong and Aynsley Pears both played as ten-man Gateshead were beaten 2-0 by league leaders Leyton Orient. Heed’s match against Solihull Moors - the side directly above them in the table - in the week was postponed due to their televised cup match against Blackpool on Friday.

Having sat out Tuesday’s 3-1 win at Brentford, there was another cameo appearance for birthday boy Marvin Johnson at Sheffield United as they went down to Leeds in the Championship’s lunchtime kick-off.