A single goal early in the second half was enough to send the Brewers into their first ever semi-final in this competition.

After soaking up the expected early flurry from Burton, Boro fashioned a chance to take the lead with just over five minutes played.

A flowing move was rounded off with a Martin Braithwaite pass through the six-yard box, but just out the reach of Jordan Hugill who slid in but just too late.

Another chance created and Boro were close again as Lewis Wing forced a smart save from Bradley Collins who tipped away a rising drive.

For all the approach play and movement created space, it wasn’t easy finding a way through and there was always the chance of a break, such as when Reece Hutchinson tore away down the left and delivered a cross. This one was cleared, but the warning signs were there.

Collins was certainly the busier goalkeeper, next in action to palm away a 25-yard Stewart Downing free-kick.

He was saved the need of getting involved minutes later when Hugill went for goal from a narrow angle and both the initial shot and follow-up blocked at close quarters.

Entering the first of two additional minutes at the end of the first half, Burton put together a smart move that had Boro stretched and Marcus Harness wasted a decent chance when curling a shot over the bar.

Just two minutes into the second half Albion swept into the lead. Jamie Allen had a close-range shot tipped onto Randolph’s left and post, Jake Hesketh got the better of Mo Besic when contesting the rebound on the edge of the box and drilled a low shot into the bottom corner.

Industrious and well organised beforehand, Albion upped their game again and for a while Boro were stretched, pushed back in their own half and three subs, Britt Assombalonga, Ashley Fletcher and Marcus Tavernier were sent out to warm-up.

Two of them, Tavernier and Assombalonga, were soon introduced to a side whose greater sense of urgency was matched with stubborn resistance, where ten men defending was quickly transformed to have men over in attack.

Change number three brought Fletcher into play at the expense of Braithwaite, but it was Lewis Wing, not for the first time on the night, who played a terrific ball to set up a half-chance that was cleared at full stretch.

With just over six minutes remaining Boro wasted a golden opportunity to draw level when Tavernier whipped over a cross from the left, it evaded Assombalonga and Fletcher and arrived late for Aden Flint who headed wide of an open goal inside the six yard box.

Scorer Hesketh 47

Boro: Randolph; Fry, Flint, Batth, Friend, Downing, Leadbitter (Capt.), Wing, Besic (Tavernier 63), Braithwaite (Fletcher 71), Hugill (Assombalonga 63). Subs: Lonergan (gk); Ayala, McNair, Saville. Order of subs on 63: 1) Tavernier; 2) Assombalonga

Albion: Collins, Brayford, Buxton (Capt.), Allen, Turner, Fraser, Hesketh (Fox, 80), Akins, Harness, Hutchinson, Quinn. Subs: Evtimov (gk); Sbarra, McCrory, Miller, Hodge, Wallace.

Referee Michael Oliver. Northumberland
Yellow cards
Boro Hugill 16, foul; Besic 37, foul
Burton Hesketh 74, foul; Collins 78, time-wasting

Attendance 17,342 (542 Burton)

Conditions Mild and damp