Wing struck early in the second half but after a lengthy break in play inside the final ten minutes, Phillips nodded in the leveller in the 11th minute of second-half stoppage time. 

Leeds arrived with a big reputation after leading the Championship for much of the season and while they started brightly enough, Boro were soon in control and dominated much of the opening period.

Tony Pulis’ side created all the openings during the first 45 minutes and should have held an interval lead.

George Saville twice found the goalkeeper – once at full stretch – and Aden Flint headed over and wide following good deliveries into the box. Ryan Shotton couldn’t get his strike away after a George Friend ball into the box, and Lewis Wing sent an effort wide.

The visitors only real chance of any note fell to former Boro striker Patrick Bamford before half-time, but his shot was well wide of the mark.

But it took less than two minutes of the second half before Boro took a richly deserved lead. Good build-up play, started with John Obi Mikel before Saville showed great vision to pick out Friend, who crossed for Wing to deliver a superb strike to break the deadlock.

The goalscorer’s involvement was curtailed shortly after the hour-mark when he limped from the field with injury to be replaced by Mo Besic.

There was a scare on 68 minutes, though, when Darren Randolph was called upon to make a fantastic double save to thwart Kemar Roofe. Moments later, he was at full stretch to push a Pontus Jansson header on to the post, and Bamford’s follow-up was wide of the mark.

Paramedics were called to deal with a situation on the Leeds bench on 82 minutes, which saw 12 minutes of stoppage time added at the end of the 90 minutes. 

Leeds eventually found the leveller deep into the added on time at the end of the second 45 when Kalvin Phillips headed home from close range beyond the reach of Randolph. 

Goals: Wing 47, Phillips 90+11

Boro: Randolph, Shotton, Ayala, Flint, Fry, Friend, Mikel, Howson, Saville (Clayton 78), Wing (Besic 63), Hugill (Assombalonga 77). Subs: Dimi, Fletcher, Downing, La Parra.

Leeds: Casilla, Ayling (Shackleton 80), Cooper, Roofe, Bamford, Alioski, Jansson, Harrison, Phillips, Klich (Roberts 58), Clarke (Hernandez 46). Subs: Peacock-Farrell, Brown, Davis, Halme.

Referee: Darren England. South Yorkshire
Yellow cards
Boro Saville 59, foul; Howson 90+8, handball.
Leeds Jansson 90+12, unsporting behaviour

Attendance: 30,881 (4,489 Leeds)