Paddy McNair netted a late penalty and Josh Coburn scored a stoppage time second as Boro secured a deserved victory against Peterborough United at the Riverside.

It was a second successive home win for Neil Warnock’s side men and they fully deserved the honours from a game where it took until the final 10 minutes to finally find breakthrough.

Warnock was forced into making three changes from the side which lost to Hull last time out with Onel Hernandez, Martin Payero, and Uche Ikpeazu returning to the starting line-up in place of the suspended Lee Peltier and the latest injury casualties Marc Bola and Dael Fry.

Boro had beaten Sheffield United last time out on home soil and Warnock’s side again dominated proceedings, creating the better opportunities, and restricting the visitors to very little.

Andraz Sporar, fresh from scoring on the international stage, went close on a couple of occasions in the first half – once after a great run by Duncan Watmore – and he also won a free-kick when he was pushed to the ground by Ronnie Edwards. Payero delivered a lovely set-piece, but there was no one on the end of it.

The lively Onel Hernandez sent a shot skidding wide and after warming the hands of the goalkeeper Marcus Tavernier had a shot cleared off the line on the stroke of half-time.

Sporar went close immediately after the re-start and after Peterborough had a penalty appeal waved away – Siriki Dembele going to ground – visiting goalkeeper David Cornell got his fingertips to a good strike from Tavernier.

Watmore came within whisker of getting the decisive touch when Sporar whipped in an angled shot which went just wide and the duo almost combined in reverse when Watmore sent in a shot which his team-mate stretched for.

It was Payero who combined with Hernandez when the Cuban drilled a shot at Cornell and Isaiah Jones stepped off the bench to look a threat as Boro continued to press for the elusive winner.

With six minutes remaining, Boro got their rewards though.

Both Sol Bamba and Paddy McNair were hauled to the ground – McNair’s shirt came off – as they looked to get on the end of a cross, and referee John Busby had no doubt in pointing to the penalty spot.

Up stepped Northern Ireland international McNair to convert with some aplomb, sending Cornell the wrong way in the process.

And the win was sealed in stoppage time with Boro's second goal, substitute Josh Coburn sweeping home from Martin Payero's pull-back.

Boro: Lumley, Tavernier, Hernandez, Ikpeazu (Jones 74), Payero, Sporar (Coburn 83), Howson, McNair, Watmore (Lea Siliki 89), Bamba, Crooks. Subs: Daniels, Olusanya, Kokolo.

Peterborough: Cornell, Edwards, Butler, Thompson (Kanu 89), Beevers, Szmodics, Taylor, Dembele (Ward 75) Grant (Burrows 77), Knight, Norburn. Subs: Blackmore, Kent, Coventry, Tomlinson.

Referee: J Busby

Att: 19,556 (610 Peterborough)