Teenage striker Josh Coburn scored his first Boro goal as Sheffield Wednesday’s hopes of Championship survival were left hanging by a thread.

The Academy youngster struck between goals from Yannick Bolasie and Duncan Watmore as Neil Warnock’s side picked up a well deserved 3-1 win against the Owls.

Boro had beaten Rotherham a few days earlier to pile on their fears of the drop and Warnock named an unchanged side for the visit of a Wednesday side who were also scrapping for their lives.

The visitors task was made even harder inside the opening 20 minutes when Bolasie dispossessed Julian Borner before running through to unleash an unstoppable strike to fire Boro ahead.

The home side had started well and that advantage was almost doubled when George Saville headed over after a Paddy McNair sent in a free-kick from deep.

Borner came to Wednesday’s rescue after Watmore whipped in a great ball and Chuba Akpom was sliding in to convert. From the resultant corner, Keiren Westwood was at his athletic best to claw a McNair strike away from the top corner. Bolasie also worked himself another opening but shot wide as the home side made all the running.

Boro had snuffed the visitors out and it wasn’t until Andre Green saw a shot deflected wide that they really threatened.

Moments later they were level though. Marc Bola tripped Green in the box and Josh Windass sent the penalty low to Jordan Archer’s right to make it 1-1.

There was a lengthy stoppage when Wednesday captain Tom Lees landed on his knee and his screams of pain could be heard around the Riverside before he was stretchered from the field.

In the time added on, Archer was called upon again when he made a great save to deny former Boro man Adam Reach. Windass also fluffed a good chance at the start of the second half.

Coburn was introduced shortly after the hour-mark and his big moment soon followed. Neeskens Kebano sent a cross over from the right and the young striker scored with a superb glancing header which left Westwood with no chance.

The third goal came with 10 minutes left on the clock. Bolasie met McNair’s corner at the far post Watmore was on hand to turn the ball home from close range after Westwood had got a touch on the initial header.