Andraz Sporar and Onel Hernandez fired Boro to a deserved victory at Nottingham Forest with their first goals for the club.

Full debut man Sporar opened his account with a wonderful finish in the first half before Hernandez was rewarded for his hard work when Forest goalkeeper Ethan Horvath made a complete mess of dealing with a routine back-pass and the Cuban was able to capitalise.

Hernandez scored in front of almost 1,500 Boro fans who were able to celebrate a first away win of the season for Neil Warnock’s men.

For Forest, it was a sixth defeat in seven games and the City Ground crowd made their displeasure clear, many leaving well before the final whistle.

It was an important win for Boro and Sporar the scorer was joined in the full debut stakes by James Lea Siliki as Warnock made three changes from the side which lost to Coventry at the weekend.

It was one of those changes, Lea Siliki, who threatened first when he found space to advance from midfield before lifting a shot over the bar.

It was a bright start by Boro with Marcus Tavernier looking particularly lively, but it was the hosts who carved out an opening when James Garner shot wide after a phase of play that came from a throw-in which Boro argued shouldn’t have gone Forest’s way.

Forest goalkeeper Horvath was called upon to get down well to a Hernandez effort from the angle, and moments later Boro were ahead in some style.

Tavernier released Sporar with a delightful ball and the Slovenian international outpaced Joe Worrall before finishing with some aplomb for his first goal in a Boro shirt.

Forest did have a couple of half-chances. Garner had a shot deflected wide, and when Scott McKenna got a touch on a strike at goal, Joe Lumley had it covered. It also took some outstanding defensive work from Matt Crooks to deny Worrall from close range.  

Boro pushed to put the game beyond doubt in the second half and both Crooks and Hernandez warmed the hands of Horvath while Lea Siliki also tested the goalkeeper with a low strike after some good build-up play.

But the second goal came 18 minutes from time when Horvath failed to control a simple back-pass and a wide-eyed Hernandez was able to seize and convert from close range to double the advantage. 

Uche Ikpeazu almost bagged a third but was denied by Horvath before a goalmouth scramble saw the ball hooked away. Tavernier was also denied by a defensive block after more hesitancy from Horvath.

Forest: Horvath, Worrall, Mbe Soh (Richardson 73), Grabban, Zinckernagel, Lowe, Johnson, Yates, McKenna, Taylor (Silva 66), Garner (Lolley 66). Subs: Figueiredo, Carvalho, Cafu, Samba.

Boro: Lumley, Dijksteel, Hall, Fry, Tavernier, Hernandez (Watmore 87), Sporar (Ikpeazu 80), Peltier, Howson, Lea Siliki (Jones 71), Crooks. 
Subs: Daniels, Olusanya, Bamba, Malley.

Referee: Andy Woolmer.

Att: 23,830 (1420 Boro)