Wing had scored twice in the space of five second half minutes as Boro came from a goal behind to take the lead, but a Harold Moukoudi own goal proved decisive as honours ended even at the DW Stadium.

Both sides were left frustrated by the result, believing they could have taken the three points, but the outcome ensures Jonathan Woodgate’s men remain seven points clear of the team occupying the third relegation spot.

Woodgate had used the game to hand a debut to Ravel Morrison, who showed real glimpses of what he had offer, but it was goalkeeper Aynsley Pears who was called into action early doors when he reacted well to turn a Joe Williams shot over the bar.

Boro had the ball in the net inside 20 minutes when Jonny Howson picked out Ashley Fletcher with a great ball, but the striker’s instinctive finish was ruled out by an offside flag.

The hosts took the lead shortly before the half-hour, though, when Samy Morsy found the space to turn and shoot, and his effort crept into the far corner.

Boro were industrious in response - Howson providing the biggest threat whenever he found space down the right - but it was from the opposite flank that Hayden Coulson cut inside and tried his luck before half-time.

It was Wigan who started the second half on the front foot, and after having a handball shout waved away, they went close when Kai Naismith sent a shot fizzing across the face of goal.

A Paddy McNair corner provided an opportunity for Morrison, whose shot appeared to be deflected safety, although no corner was awarded despite the protests of Boro players.

At the other end, Naismith sent a free-kick just wide after an excellent tackle by Moukoudi was penalised with a yellow card. 

Moments later, a second yellow card was shown to Chey Dunkley for a foul on Wing, and the Boro man picked himself up and with the aid of a deflection he converted the free-kick to level matters. 

There was no deflection needed five minutes later when in true Wing fashion, he worked himself an opening on the edge of the box and his strike beat a hapless David Marshall in the Wigan goal.

But the scores were level again with 15 minutes left on the clock when the otherwise impressive Moukoudi turned a Nathan Byrne cross into the back of his own goal.