Middlesbrough boss Tony Pulis saluted his side's "application and attitude" as they ultimately swept aside League One Peterborough United. All the goals came in the second half, two in three minutes shortly after the break from Britt Assombalonga and defender George Friend to calm Teesside nerves when Posh had hinted at an upset.

The Sun

Lethal winger Lewis Wing added another cup cracker to his repertoire as Tony Pulis' side won the Battle of the Boro's. Middlesbrough scored two goals in the first five minutes of the second half to bring a dull game to life and deflate brave League One side Peterborough after a stubborn first half stalemate.

Teesside Live

The best goal was the third by far. Another absolute pearler from Lewis Wing, who was introduced at the break in place of debutant Rajiv van La Parra, with boss Pulis making some tactical tinkering that swung the game in his side's favour. Wing won the goal of the round competition for his stunner against Crystal Palace the last time Boro won a cup game at the Riverside and may well have wrapped up another gong with his pearler from distance just after the hour mark. What a hit!

Peterborough Today

Peterborough United manager Steve Evans insists the final scoreline did not accurately reflect his team’s performance as they bowed out of the FA Cup with a 5-0 beating at Championship side Middlesbrough. Evans claimed his team delivered the best 45-minute display of his tenure at Posh in the first-half at the Riverside, but they couldn’t turn their dominance into goals. Two quick goals at the start of the second-half then turned the game in the home side’s favour and they ran out comfortable winners in the end.

BBC Sport

Boro boss Tony Pulis tweaked his side at the break in response to a flat display, and it paid dividends as ex-Posh striker Assombalonga nodded in after Fletcher's shot struck the bar and Friend's second put the home side in control. The introduction of academy products such as Wing, Stephen Walker and Harry Chapman was another boost, and they were prominent as Boro put the game out of sight with three goals in the final 20 minutes.