Here's how the media viewed Saturday's Riverside return...

Daily Mail

Two of Neil Warnock's summer signings found the net for the first time in a Middlesbrough shirt to make it a memorable afternoon for the old campaigner at the Riverside Stadium.

The 72-year-old didn't want to leave the pitch after the final whistle, orchestrating cheers from the home fans following the 2-1 win over Nigel Pearson's Bristol City.

It was the first time Warnock had overseen a Middlesbrough game in front of a crowd at the Riverside despite taking over in June last year.

Goals from Uche Ikpeazu and Matt Crooks, signed from Wycombe and Rotherham respectively, in the 38th and 70th minutes sealed the points.

Ikpeazu scored when he turned in Isaiah Jones' low cross, while Ikpeazu's knock down was turned in by Crooks from close range for the winner.

Warnock said: 'I was gobsmacked before kick-off when I came out, it was an amazing sight, that is why I am in the game. I have been here I don't know how many months, and that's what I have been waiting for."

Northern Echo

THERE was a definite sense of occasion for this afternoon’s at the Riverside Stadium. The only concern was would there be a match good enough to match it.

It certainly did.

It was a game that showed multiple sides to Boro. Plenty of pace and intent from the forwards while the midfield and defence showed energy and a fight to find a way to hold onto the three points.

Buy tickets here for Wednesday's game against QPR

Before the game after the players had walked out to a spine tingling version of Pigbag with the fans in high voice, Neil Warnock was finally introduced to the home crowd.

Then we had a minutes applause for all the efforts of the NHS workers throughout the pandemic alongside an anti-racism message over the PA system. We were ready to go at the Riverside for the first time in front of a crowd. Finally.

Teesside Live

Neil Warnock thanked the Middlesbrough fans for their support after they spurred Boro on to a big 2-1 win over Bristol City.

There were 22,004 fans back at the Riverside for the return of fans for the first time in 17 months and they certainly made themselves heard.

It was a carnival atmosphere throughout as they got behind the Boro team, who suitably battled for everything for them.

And Warnock was particularly delighted that when they conceded the second half equaliser, the crowd stuck with the players, urging them on to go and net the winner through Matt Crooks.


Debut goals from Uche Ikpeazu and Matt Crooks earned Middlesbrough a first league win of the season, as they beat Bristol City at the Riverside.

Summer signing Ikpeazu opened the scoring for Boro in the first half, before Andy King drew City level on the hour mark.

Buy tickets here for Wednesday's game against QPR

But Crooks, also a new arrival this transfer window from Rotherham, put his side back in the lead 10 minutes later with a simple tap-in from a Paddy McNair free-kick.

For Bristol City manager Nigel Pearson, it was a disappointing return to the Riverside and the team he successfully spent four years with as a player during the 1990s. His team are now without a win in 13 matches, going back to last season.