A Grant Leadbitter goal ensured Boro's unbeaten pre-season run continued against Scunthorpe United in Marbella.

On a day when summer signing Stewart Downing pulled on a Boro shirt for the first time in six years, Aitor Karanka's squad were given another good workout against dogged opponents.

The League One side held the lead for much of the game, despite Boro dominating, but captain Leadbitter came up with an equaliser shortly before the whistle.

The game was played in searing conditions once again, yet for the second match in succession, Boro played to a high tempo and took the game to Scunthorpe right from the off.

Adam Forshaw and Yanic Wildschut created a half-chance inside the opening 60 seconds, but Lee Tomlin couldn't get his shot in, and moments later Adam Jackson forced Joe Anyon into scrambling away a header.

But it was the visitors who went ahead after just six minutes when a free-kick was whipped into the box and the ball was turned beyond Ripley by a Boro defender.

Karanka's men were swiftly back on the front foot though and Adam Clayton, George Friend, Tomlin, and Forshaw all had efforts either blocked or wide of the mark.

Scunthorpe's first real attack on the half-hour saw Paddy Madden drag a shot wide, but Boro were given some encouragement shortly before the whistle when Wildschut was brought down by Jordan Clarke and the referee pointed to the spot.

Tomlin stepped up to do the honours, but Anyon guessed correctly and saved low to his right. There was still time for Jonny Burn to graze the post with an effort from distance and for Connor Ripley, a virtual spectator, to make a good block to deny Madden.

Half-time brought a complete change of XIs for Boro once again, including the introduction of Downing, but it was the Scunthorpe goalkeeper who continued to play the most crucial role. Muzzy Carayol released Albert Adomah with a peach of a pass, but once again, Anyon was equal to the shot.

Boro continued to press, and Downing tried his luck from distance with a shot which was over the top. Anyon also saved a free-kick from Downing, and denied Fewster who found good space. 

But Boro deserved a goal for all the hard work, and that came six minutes from time when Leadbitter found space and advanced before delivering a shot low into the corner to level the scores.

Moments later, Leadbitter almost bagged a winner, but his shot was over the top after good work by Adomah.

Boro (1st half): Ripley, Kalas, Jackson, Burn, Friend, Clayton, Forshaw, Wildschut, Tomlin, Reach, Kike.

Boro (2nd half): Dimi, Nsue, Ayala, Fry, Husband, Leadbitter, Maloney, Adomah, Downing, Carayol, Fewster.