Just nine days after the sides met in the final of the Premier League Cup, it was league action that brought them together on a warm and sunny afternoon.

City got off to a flying start, two up in six minutes through goals from Taylor Richards and Henri Ogunby.

The fightback started almost immediately, just 90 seconds between City’s second and a goal borne out of persistence from Hayden Hackney who refused to give up what looked a difficult task and to beat Tom Scott with a low shot.

Richards fizzed a low shot just wide as City went for more, then Daniel Dodds showed great control before striking the post with a low shot in an open game.

City were late out for the start of the second half, maybe they knew what was coming as Boro, much the better side after the break, drew level through a Gabby McGill penalty conceded just 40 seconds after the restart when Joe Gibson was brought down.

A powerful Nicholas Hood header put Boro into the lead for the first time on 54 minutes, the young defender determined to get his head on a right-wing free-kick.

Cain Sykes had a close-range shot cleared off the line by James McAtee, then Scott produced a flying save away to his left to keep out a well-executed Stephen Wearne volley.

Determination paid off two minutes into injury-time when Sykes put pressure on the City defence on our left, that forced a backpass which gave Scott a lot to do and Alberto Balde rode the challenge from the goalkeeper to leave himself with a simple tuck-in into an empty net.

Under the guidance of Mark Tinkler and James Marwood, Boro have now lost just one of their last nine in the league, winning seven.

Scorers Richards 3, Ogunby 6, Hackney 8, McGill 46 (pen), Hood 54, Balde 90+2

Boro Brynn, Dodds, Charlton, Hood (Capt.), Robinson, Sykes, Gibson (Balde 83), Spence (Fletcher 73), McGill (Coburn 90+3), Hackney, Wearne. Subs Flatters (gk), Essien.

City Scott, Diounkou, Burns, Amankwah, Ogbeta (Simmonds 60), Dele-Bashiru (Capt.), Wright-Phillips, Richards, Ohio (Gyabi 86), McAtee, Ogunby. Subs Thomas (gk), Oduroh, Mbete

Referee Chris Ellis