Probably the most memorable strike comes from the last meeting between the sides in 2016, as a point against Brighton was enough to earn Boro promotion to the Premier League.

Cristhian Stuani grabbed the home side’s goal that day, as Gaston Ramirez’s free-kick was flicked towards goal by David Nugent and Stuani was on hand to turn it in.

Cristhian Stuani gave Boro the lead against Brighton before going on to secure a point to win promotion

The visitors, who needed three points to join Burnley in the top flight, levelled things up on 55 minutes when Dale Stephens headed in Anthony Knockaert’s free kick.

However Boro held on and a point was enough to secure their place in the Premier League, ending a seven-year exile from the top tier.

Earlier that season, Kike’s header helped Boro ensure they would be at the Championship summit at Christmas in 2015, with a 3-0 win over Brighton bringing The Seagulls’ unbeaten start to the season to a halt.

The Spanish striker turned in Albert Adomah’s cross from the left to give Boro the lead after just four minutes.

Kike celebrates after nodding in the opening goal at the Amex in 2015

Adomah added his name to the scoresheet just before the interval and the win was confirmed just after the hour mark when Stuani nodded in Kike’s ball towards the box, making it a happy Christmas for Boro.

Boro made it seven games unbeaten in the league back in 2014 when they overcame Brighton at the Amex 2-1.

Lee Tomlin grabbed the first of the game as he found the top right corner with a first-time strike on the edge of the area.

Tomlin scored 10 goals for Boro during his only full season before moving on to Bristol City and is now plying his trade in south Wales with Cardiff City.

Adomah made it two in the second half and Brighton’s Gorden Greer pulled one back for the hosts two minutes from full-time, but it wasn’t enough to snap Boro’s unbeaten run.

It was a fruitful evening for Craig Hignett against Brighton in the first leg of the second round in the League Cup in 1993, scoring four of Boro’s five goals in the 5-0 triumph at Ayresome Park.

Hignett, who amassed over 150 appearances for Boro during a six-year stay on Teesside, notched the first of his quartet on 15 minutes and his second was the pick of the bunch.

After some neat build-up play, Hignett latched onto a ball to the right wing and having made his way into the box, he calmly placed it in the bottom left corner.

Hignett, who went on to spend time with Aberdeen, Blackburn Rovers, Leicester City amongst others, had his hat-trick sealed on 41 minutes and added his fourth minutes later.

John Hendrie made it five with 52 minutes gone on the clock to record a convincing win for Boro in the League Cup.

Hendrie features with a goal of his own against Brighton in a 4-0 win in the 1991-92 season.

Bernie Slaven scored a hat-trick (one of two in the space of just over a year he'd score against The Seagulls) but Hendrie’s wonder strike was the standout finish from the 4-0 win, as he cut in on the edge of the area and fired a right-footed strike into the top right corner beyond the reach of the goalkeeper.

Malcolm Christie with the League Cup trophy

Another comes from former striker Malcolm Christie, scoring the winner in the second round of the League Cup.

Christie arrived at Boro in January 2003 in a deadline day deal from Derby County.

After neither side could find a breakthrough in 90 minutes, the former England Under-21s international scored the decisive goal in the early stages of extra-time, turning in Jonathan Greening’s cross.

Boro went on to lift the League Cup that season, beating Wigan Athletic, Everton, Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal on their way to Millennium Stadium before defeating Bolton Wanderers 2-1.