Half of this week’s Six of the Best comes from a memorable victory over QPR for Boro at Loftus Road, running out 5-1 winners back in 2009.

It was then Boro boss Gordon Strachan’s first win since taking over, with the convincing triumph taking his side into the play-off places.

Dave Kitson grabbed the first of the afternoon as he turned in Gary O’Neill’s free kick, with his clever flick beating Radek Cerny.

Having doubled Boro’s advantage with a penalty and despite Patrick Agyemang pulling one back for the hosts, Leroy Lita cut back inside from the left and found the bottom right corner with a great strike.

Gary O’Neill netted Boro’s fourth of the afternoon and the three points were wrapped up when Kitson found Mark Yeates, who broke clear and picked his spot from the bottom outside the area.

Gaston Ramirez’s header helped Boro climb to second in the Championship in a 3-2 thriller at Loftus Road in April 2016.

Jordan Rhodes, who scored six goals during his spell with Boro, notched his second with the club having joined in January from Blackburn Rovers when he poked the ball beyond Rangers keeper Alex Smithies.

The home side restored parity before the break and despite Grant Leadbitter having a penalty saved in the second half, the Boro skipper turned provider for Ramirez on the ensuing corner, with the latter beating Gabriele Angella to the ball with a near post header.

Ben Gibson nodded home Boro’s third and the visitors did enough to hold on for all three points despite Tjaronn Chery’s goal five minutes from time.

The next goal comes from 1997, with Paul Merson’s seventh goal in Boro colours sealing a 3-0 victory at the Riverside.

Mikkel Beck opened the scoring and Merson, who was Boro’s top scorer that season with 16 in all competitions, made it 2-0 after finishing in the bottom right with a fine effort after great build-up play.

Anthony Ormerod made it 3-0 in the second half in a fine win for Boro, who earned promotion to the top flight that campaign having finished second, three points behind table toppers Nottingham Forest.

The final goal comes from Mark Brennan, who bagged his first for the club with a half volley against QPR at Ayresome Park in 1988.

Boro launched into a counter attack despite the away side on the attack themselves and a cross from the right wasn’t dealt with by the defence and sat up nicely for Brennan, who’s left-footed strike was hard to stop.

Brennan arrived from Ipswich Town in the summer of 1988 and departed Boro for Manchester City two years later. He found the back of the net six times during his time with Boro.