- George has become one of Boro's most popular players on and off the field since joining the club from Doncaster Rovers in July 2012 for an undisclosed fee, signing a three-year contract.
- Barnstaple-born George started his career at Exeter City and helped the West Country side regain their Football League status with a Conference Play-Off triumph over Cambridge United at Wembley in 2008.
- George, who can play at either left-back or centre-back, made his debut in the 2-1 Capital One Cup win at Bury in August 2012.
- Boro beat off competition from two other Championship clubs to secure the highly-rated Doncaster captain, who was named Player of the Year and Players Player of the Year at The Keepmoat Stadium in 2011/12.
- A popular figure among fans, Friend was named in the PFA Championship Team of the Year for both the 2014/15 and 2015/16 seasons for his adventurous performances from left-back. He has also been named the club’s Community Player of the Year on numerous occasions.
- Following Boro's promotion to the Premier League in May 2016, George signed a new contract to keep him at the Riverside until 2020.
- Played in his 200th league game for Boro in the 2017/18 season, one in which he made 39 appearances, scoring twice. The goal he scored away to QPR on January 20 was named Goal of the Season at the end of season awards night.
- At the end of the 2018/19 season, one that added another 43 appearances to his CV, George was within sight of 400 career appearances (392) with a league club, with many more coming when Exeter City were in the Conference (National) League. It was a season where he would close to within 16 of making 300 appearances with us.
- The opening months of 2019/20 season saw George's appearances limited to just one before the start of November, due to injury.
Player Season Statistics
Games5 Tackles won9 Assists0
- Name: George Friend
- Country: England
- D.O.B: 17 Oct 1987