Sponsored by Criterion Interior Solutions
Player Season Statistics
Games44 Goals5 Assists5
- His formative years having been spent with Newcastle United, midfielder Marcus joined us at Under-14 level and has progressed through the ranks, signing his first professional contract as a 17-year-old in October 2016.
- He was a regular in the Under-18 side which played in the UEFA Youth League and quickly found his feet at Under-23 level.
- Marcus’ brother James established himself with Glasgow Rangers, having started out with Leeds United before moving to Doncaster Rovers, captaining the Gers and playing at right-back.
- Just four days after scoring a hat-trick for our U23s in a 4-0 home win over Norwich, Marcus made his first team debut, starting in the side that went on to beat Scunthorpe United 3-0 in a second round Carabao Cup tie at the Riverside on August 22 2017.
- His first goal came in the League Cup, a 56th-minute equaliser in a 3-1 defeat away to Bournemouth on Tuesday October 24.
- His first league goal was altogether more meaningful to the team as it was the only one of the game as we beat Sunderland in a league game at the Riverside on Sunday November 5.
- In a bid to see him gain more senior experience, the club loaned Marcus to MK Dons in January 2018 for the remainder of the season.
- In total, Marcus made 16 appearances in the 2017/18 season, eight each for us and MK Dons.
- Season 2018/19 saw Marcus make 27 appearances for our first team, many from the bench, scoring four goals in the process.
- In January 2020, Marcus put pen to paper on a new three-and-a-half-year contract with the club. He made 40 appearances in the 2019/20 season, scoring three goals.
- After an impressive 2020/21 campaign, Marcus was voted Young Player of the Year by the North East Sports Writers Association.