Sponsored by SWM Consultancy Ltd
Player Season Statistics
Games11 Goals2 Assists1
- Name: Matt Crooks
- D.O.B: 20 Jan 1994
SWM Consultancy Ltd
- Born in Leeds, Matt’s youth career was spent with Manchester United before returning to Yorkshire with Huddersfield Town.
- Having made his senior debut with The Terriers, he had a series of loan spells in the lower divisions. Hartlepool United were among them, as were Accrington Stanley, Matt joining the latter on a permanent basis in 2015.
- Impressing in Lancashire, he was included in the League Two team of the season for 2015/16, scoring eight goals as Accrington missed out on automatic promotion by goal difference only, and were edged out of the play-offs by AFC Wimbledon.
- He and Stanley team-mate Josh Windass joined Rangers a year later. His opportunities were limited north of the border, and it was a return to England with Scunthorpe United that really reignited his career, with three goals in a dozen games.
- Matt then moved to Northampton Town and quickly became a mainstay in their team.
- In September 2017 he scored his first goal for the Cobblers, after just 21 seconds of a match against Doncaster Rovers - the quickest goal in a competitive match at the Sixfields Stadium. It was the first of 10 goals over two seasons with the club.
- In January 2019, Matt moved to Rotherham United. He scored three goals in 16 games in the second half of the campaign - not enough to see the Millers avoid the drop, but Matt was instrumental as Paul Warne’s side earned promotion again as League One runners up the following campaign.
- Having been deployed in a deeper role, and even in defence earlier in his career, Matt excelled in an advanced midfield role under Warne’s watch. He netted doubled figures for the first time in a season in 2019/20, despite it being curtailed by coronavirus, also chipping in with four assists.
- Returning to the Championship, Matt was again one of Rotherham’s stellar performers, with seven goals and three assists in all competitions. One of those goals was in United’s impressive 3-0 win over Boro in our rearranged fixture at the Riverside back in January.
- The Millers’ battle against the drop went all the way to the final day - when future Boro teammate Lewis Wing would score what looked to be the goal that sealed survival - but late drama saw Warne’s men go down in agonising circumstances.
- Matt became Boro's fifth signing of the summer transfer window when he joined up with Neil Warnock's side in Cornwall in July 2021.
- He wasted little time in making his mark, scoring on his debut in a friendly at Plymouth Argyle.
- Matt made his competitive debut for Boro in the first match of the 2021/22 season at Fulham, while his first goal came on his home bow a week later, a match-winner against Bristol City.